Re: Getting Started

>   I've a Syquest (1.5 G) drive and I do not seem to be able to mount
>   it onto any partition:
>
>      mount /dev/sdca /syquest
>
>   Always gave me some error on unknown ftype...  Did I do something
>   wrong?
>
>   Thanks!

To mount the disk in syjet, you should know the partitions you have on
that disk.

Just run "fdisk -l", it will list all the partitions you have on your
system. If your syjet is really /dev/sdc device, and have only one
dos partition, then mount it with
mount -t msdos /dev/sdc1 /mnt

But if you want just to install linux on the drive, you don't even need to
do that. Just insert the disk into the drive, rescue floppy into the
floppy drive and reboot the computer. Configure the keyboard and go
to the "partition the hard drive" menu. Select the syjet drive from there
(/dev/sdc, if it is correct) and repartion it the way you like.
You will create /dev/sdc1, /dev/sdc2, etc. partitions.
You will be prompted on where these partitions should be mounted, respond
to that and just follow the installation path. Everything will be done
automatically. Just don't try to make the hard drive bootable! Create a
boot floppy! Now, each time you want to boot linux, insert the boot floppy
you created and the syjet disk and reboot. You may remove the floppy
after booting.

Alex Y.

--
   _