Re: How to run multiple X display servers?

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Richardson,Anthony wrote:

> I'm working thru some of the exercises in the book "A Practical Guide to
> Linux".
> In the GUI chapter the author mentions that you can start multiple X
> servers in
> different blank virtual consoles.  I thought this would be neat and
> thought I'd try it.
> When I do "startx -- :1.0 &" the server starts, but the clients complain
> about
> not having authorization to connect to the server.
>
> I played around with xauth to add an entry to the .Xauthority file and
> got
> everything to work.  The xauth man page mentions that entries in the
> .Xauthority file are normally created by xdm, so I don't believe the way
> I got
> things to work is proper.  (Something seemed strange about the way I just
> typed in a long, random, hex number.)  Would someone please provide
> provide
> enlightenment as to the correct procedure or point me to appropriate
> documentation?

Looking at the startx script, I'd say you should use ":1" (without quotes)
instead of ":1.0". They both mean the same to the X server but the former
isn't recognised as a local display by the startx script.

If it doesn't work, your startx script is probably one of those that don't
really support multiple local X servers. I'd be happy to send you mine.
It's not that big.

Remco