compiling and installing non deb stuff

1. Is is normally best to try something out in my home directory  before
installing it as root?  Will this always be possible?

2.  Should source file normally be (tar -zxvf *.tar.gz) in /, or /usr, or
/usr/local, or somewhere else?  Do most programmers expect that you are
installing from a particular directory?

3.  What fundamental differences are there in the file system structure of
debian as compared to say other Linux distributions, or other Unix's
(sun-OS, hpux, aix), that are relevant to compilation and installation
issues.   That is what kinds of changes commonly need to be
made to make files and install scripts.

4.  Are there established procedures and practices that professional
system administrators follow when compiling and installing software that
could be recommended as good guidelines for me or any other less
experienced person to follow.

Thank you for any help.