Re: Broken Man pages after uprade!

"Less" 'set it up' (or rather the less package set it up).  This is a
relatively new scheme for handling utilities that can have more than one
version installed but are also used by other programs.  Thus, you can
have 'more', 'less', 'muchmore', 'xless', and who knows how many others
installed and available and use them but select essentially any one to
be the 'default'.

Bob Nielsen wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Timothy M. Hospedales wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I just installed the man-db and manpages packges from hamm. (Before
> > I was using the old ones from Bo).
> > Now, whenever I try to man anything, it says:
> > sh: /usr/bin/pager: No such file or directory
> > sh: exec: /usr/bin/pager: cannot execute: No such file or directory.
> >
> > Where can I get this pager thing, or whatever is required to fix this?
>
> My hamm system shows:
>
> $ ls -al /usr/bin/pager
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           23 Jan 18 21:16 /usr/bin/pager ->
> /etc/alternatives/pager
>
> and
>
> $ ls -al /etc/alternatives/pager
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           13 Jan 27 21:17
> /etc/alternatives/pager -> /usr/bin/less
>
> dpkg -S /usr/bin/pager doesn't return anything, so I don't know which
> package set this up, but you might try putting in the links manually.
>
> hth,
> Bob
>
> ---
> Bob Nielsen                     Internet: nielsen@primenet.com
> Tucson, AZ                      AMPRnet: w6swe@01.w6swe.ampr.org
>                                 http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen/
>
> --

best,
-bill
      bleach@BellSouth.net  b.leach@Worldnet.att.net
           b.leach@usa.net  LinuxPC@Hotmail.com
from a 1996 Micro$loth ad campaign:
"The less you know about computers the more you want Micro$oft!"
         See!  They do get some things right!