Re: AOL IM

jf@debian.debian.org wrote:
  >Hello,
  >
  >	AOL IM just seg faults in hamm and leaves a core file. How do I use the
      > core file? It is for debugging isn't it? I am not sure how to start tra
      >cking down the problem so any hekp would be appreciated.

A core file is not much use for debugging unless it was produced by an
executable that contains debugging symbols.

In order to use it, you need gdb (use info to read gdb's documentation).

Very simply:

  $ gdb executable_path corefile_path

Then you're in interactive mode.

Print the backtrace (which shows the tree of internal calls starting with
the one that crashed:

   > bt

If there were debugging symbols, you should see meaningful names; if
not, it will just be hex addresses.

Another route to understanding your problem is to use strace (`man strace'
for documentation).  This will show you what kernel functions are being
used and might help you understand what's happening.

You are on hamm, so the problem might be to do with mixed libraries:
use ldd to find out what shared libraries the executable is wanting.