Re: 1FA:

On 22 Feb, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 1998 at 11:33:03PM -0500, Stephen P. Ryan wrote:
>> On 20 Feb, Bruce Dobrin wrote:
>> > 1FA:   is what I get when I try to boot from My hard drive.  I had this
>> > problem once before and the problem mysteriously went away. It hasn't gone
>> > away yet on this box.  this disturbs me.  This is a new machine with a
>> > 9gig cheeta drive,  1st (system) partition is 500meg.  Any Ideas???
>> >
>> > Thank you
>>
>> That is a prompt from your BIOS, wanting to know which partition /
>> drive to boot from.  You might get this from pressing a key too soon in
>> the boot sequence, or from not having a proper boot sector installed.
>> If you are using LILO, check to make sure that it is installed on the
>> boot sector rather than in the partition.
>
> Actually it's a prompt from the package mbr, not your BIOS. The effect
> is the same though.
>
> hamish

I stand corrected.  I  thought it was from the BIOS because I also
thought I got that message from one of my machines before I installed
Linux on it.  I just checked my motherboard manual and found no trace of
this; I just checked /usr/doc/mbr and read all about it.

Learning something new everyday,
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College