Re: Dial Script

sailer@sun10.sep.bnl.gov (Tim Sailer) writes:
> I have a web page that people can use to page me on my numeric pager.
> It uses a very stupid program (npage) to dial the phone. I was wondering
> if someone has a better way, maybe perl, chat, a well written C program,
> etc. to do this.

Most pager companies these days have an e-mail interface.  I use
AirTouch, and any message sent to 4084588862@alphapage.airtouch.com
will appear on my pager (assuming the message is less than 245
characters long).  While I have an alphanumeric pager, this would also
work with numeric pagers - just send a numeric message.

However I wasn't very happy with the interface to AirTouch's system,
so I wrote a Perl script that removes extra spaces and blank lines,
includes the From and Subject headers, checks the length, and sends it
to both the AirTouch e-mail and my regular e-mail addresses.  So now
if you mail hermit-page@bayview.com (*much* easier to remember, too)
it gets processed by this script.

I also wrote a similar one that works from a web page (there's a link
to it from my homepage, URL listed below, if you want to look at the
web page).

If anyone is interested in getting copies of these scripts, mail me.
If you are an AirTouch customer and would like to use these scripts
running on my system for your pages, let me know and maybe we can work
something out.  They should work for any AirTouch customer, and it
should be possible to adapt it to other pager companies as well.

--Bill.

P.S.: If you want to page me please don't do so between the hours of
10pm and 10am Pacific time.  Thanks.

--
William R Ward          Bay View Consulting   http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/
hermit@bayview.com     1803 Mission St. #339        voicemail +1 408/479-4072