Re: nis & shadow

When Miquel van Smoorenburg wrotei, I replied:

I was wondering why he dangled his ethernet cable out the window.
I hope it was properly terminated!  And wouldn't there be some sign
that the cable had been cut and re-spliced?  I guess I'm just way
too trusting.

> In article <[🔎] 34ED97F3.C28045C6@bdsinc.com>,
> Jens B. Jorgensen <jjorgens@bdsinc.com> wrote:
> >Oh, pardon me. That really is safe then. NOT! If I can plug into your ethernet, I can
> >have your NIS maps.
>
> This is getting silly. Even if you install $100,000 worth of crypto
> devices I can still come in, hold a gun to your head and get a root
> prompt. So no system is secure. Why not mail me your root password
> right away.
>
> Mike.
> --
>  Miquel van Smoorenburg |  The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac lay in his bed
>     miquels@cistron.nl  |  awake all night wondering if there is a doG
>
> --

Ralph Winslow		      rjw@nac.net
Mary bought a pair of skates