lpr wants /usr/spool???

I used to be able to print from the appropriate account to this print spooler.
 but now I get the message,

lpq: he183-lj5m: cannot chdir to spooling directory

and a cannot create /usr/spool/.seq error when trying to print.  I've created
/usr/spool, as 777, and it prints.  But as near as I can tell, it should want
/var/spool, not /usr/spool.

rick

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.