Re: smbfs

On 19 Feb 98 at 16:21, Michael Beattie wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Fredrik Ax wrote:

> > I guess you have fixed suid or is running smbmount as root?!
> > Then don't forget to use the -U switch to send a valid userid
> > to the win-host. You can also use -I to make certain that the
> > host is found. The command would then be somethin like this:
> >
> > su -c'smbmount //[host]/[service] -U [uid] -I [ip-adr]'
> >
> > Hope this helps you
>
> I dont know if it will or not, I cant do anything now till my friend gets
> his micro$oft worship alter fixed :) He's installing OSR2 with FAT32....

However, it sure helped me. I had the same problem.
I learned a new Linux installation needs to be told where to find other
machines. DNS or a local file (HOSTS ?) or -I switch. Gee, that's not
surprising . . . any OS needs to be told that.

My home intranet is coming along nicely, thanks to Debian and this list.

Richard B. Talley <olny@nmia.com>

"Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a Web page appears to
be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web, when you had very little chance of reading
a document written on another computer, another word processor, or another network."
-Tim Berners-Lee in Technology Review, July 1996
quoted at 'Best Viewed With Any Browser'
http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/