Re: lpr remote printing

On Thu, Feb 19, 1998 at 03:16:44PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 1998 at 11:08:28AM -0800, Adam Klein wrote:
> > I'm the maintainer of the lpr package, and there is a bug report
> > saying that remote printing doesn't work.  Has anyone else had this
> > problem?
>
> Well, it works just fine here from 5.9-20.2 (client) to 5.9-20 (server),
> and from 5.9-21 to 5.9-20 too. But the bug report talks about printing
> from DOS software. But

Actually, this is a different bug, #18295.  It was reported against
the latest version 5.9-23.  The reason I wanted reports from other
people is that I can't test the remote printing features of lpr
myself.  However, I wouldn't mind some help with the DOS problem.

> > Warning: no daemon present
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
> > 1st    nobody     209  C:\TMP\~lpt1D12.TMP                   839 bytes
>
> This could be a telltale sign. Perhaps the original reporter had
> other lpr problems and it just seemed to be a remote printing
> problem?

lpq will give this warning message when it has inadequate permissions.

> I think one of my machines has an lpr installed on DOS, I will check
> it out (but it's not the same implementation mentioned in the bug report).

Thanks,
Adam Klein