Autologin..not wanted..

Hi debian-users,

I have some problem after I by a mistake downgraded ldso 1.9.x-->1.8.x
The hole system breaked and I was forced to do a new installation with the
rescue-floppy. I leaved the old filesystem unchanged and installed the
base-system and made a boot-floppy. Then after reboot, when I was prompted
for a "root-password", it did not seem to work. I was not passed to the
system, I was just prompted for a password so I had to reboot by
"ctrl+alt+del". Now I am "autologged-in" as root!!? And since then I´ve bin
automaticly logged-in as "root"!

When I do "/usr/sbin/pppd" I get "/etc/ppp/ppp-connect ;permission denied"
in /etc/ppp/connect-errors!. I have set ppp-connect to chmod 600 and chown
root.root.

Has this something to do with "the autologg-in"? I don´t have a valued
root-account?

Furthermore: When I do the "more" command I get a "Broken pipe" error..

Do I have to reinstall the hole system from scratch?

thanks
/Joakim