Re: Questions...

Julian Morcinek wrote:

  >[Julian Morcinek]  I took a interest in this post as I will be belatedly upg
      >rading my current Debian 1.1 installation (a dream - trouble free for ov
      >er 2 years!).  Just three questions:
  >
  >1.	Are they any major reasons why the new libc version in release 2.0.x (h
      >amm) should be preferred over the libc version on 1.3.x (bo)?

glibc 2 (aka libc6) is a new standard, which we should expect to see
adopted, in time, by other Unix vendors, not just Linux.

Programs that are compiled against libc6 won't run without it.

All of hamm will be libc6, and if you don't upgrade, you will be at
a dead end, unless you compile everything for yourself.  Even then you
may find you have extra work to do to get things to compile.

  >2.  What does changing mean (viz a viz hamm)?  Does it mean that not all the
      > existing packages have been upgraded for the new libc, and that ugraded
      > packages will 'trickle through' over a period of time?  And does this m
      >ean frequent visits to the FTP server to download those hard-to-do-witho
      >ut packages?

hamm is all libc6.  Over the past year or so, all packages should have
been recompiled for libc6 and these are what you will find in hamm.
A code freeze has just been pre-announced for late March, so we're nearly
there.

Once Debian 2.0 is released, the easiest way to upgrade will be to buy
a new CD, unless you're on a really fast Internet link.

Changing means going through a carefully defined process to install
versions of libc5 packages that can co-exist with libc6 and then
installing libc6 and then the rest of the packages.  (See the instructions
in http://www.debian.org/doc/libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO/libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO.html
and follow them exactly.  There is also a script that can be used, at
http://www.debian.org/devel/autoup.sh.  WARNING: follow instructions
exactly, or you make your system unusable!)

  >3. How long does it take, on average - if there is such a thing, for hamm to
      > become bo?

The development will have taken (at least?) a year. I think it was already
begun when I started using Debian in early 1997.

If you are asking how long it will take to install, that would depend on your
machine... It took me half a day to install bo on a 486 using a network
connection.

  >My interest is that of a contented Linux, as opposed to other OS's I adminis
      >ter, administrator.  I really don't have to work too hard on my Linux bo
      >x, and I ain't a Unix/Linux Guru.  What now attracts me to Debian Linux
      >is its proven, in my case, low maintainability.  Now isn't that a unique
      > selling point?

It's why I've stuck with Debian. (It's also very satisfying to be able to
contribute to the distribution I use.)