PPP still a pain

To all debian users,
   I am sorry to have to post this again, as I am getting EXTREMELY
loathe to post my problem as I feel my credibility as being even a
"nitwit" (one with at least 2 brain cells working), is being questioned
at this point.
  I have still had no luck at getting my modem recognize or working in
Linux.
  I have installed and used the pppsetup program that was posted here
some time back, it made setup scripts like a charm.  But unfortunately
I still cannot get my modem working.  I always end up with the following
error coming up:
Feb 10 21:07:56 charles pppd[100]: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
Feb 10 21:07:56 charles pppd[100]: tcgetattr: I/O error
Feb 10 21:07:56 charles pppd[100]: Exit.

I have been told that this indicates an irq conflict, but when checking
my /proc/interrupts, none are listed.  I have done a setserial on
/dev/ttyS1 (where my modem now resides, COM2 in DOS) and the following
is displayed:
/dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 5

The file /proc/interrupts (not copied) shows no devices on irq 5
therefore I cannot figure out where the irq conflict is coming from.  My
modem is a supra 288i PnP modem, I have used the isapnptools program and
have also disabled the PnP in my bios.  My modem does not have jumpers
that I can set for the irq or for the port settings, and as I would not
know what to change, that may be a good thing. I am at a loss as to what
to try next.  Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Charles