Re: freedos

pai <pai@lgeil.com> writes:

> I am a Linux fanatic living in India.
>
> I currently use Slackware 3.3.
>
> I wish to keep my system Microsoft-free. I have the follwing problem.
>
> (1) It is almost impossible to get non pnp ethernet cards, modems etc in
>     India.
> (2) Further these cards are usually no-name Asian types with their own DOS
>     drivers
> (3) I am no great device-driver writer.
>
> Since I have to use Linux with these peripherals, I have to first boot
> into DOS and then warm-boot into Linux.
>
> Can I get rid of MSDOS if I use freeDOS ? All I want is my machine to boot
> into DOS, poke in the pnp drivers and warm-boot Linux.

You must have a look at isapnptools.

The debian package says:

 This program is suitable for all systems, whether or not they
 include a PnP BIOS. In fact, a PnP BIOS adds some complications
 because it may already activate some cards so that the drivers
 can find them, and these tools can unconfigure them, or change
 their settings causing all sorts of nasty effects.

I think that you will be able to find a "package" for slackware.

--
	At\'e breve

Pedro Quaresma de Almeida
Departamento de Matem\'atica