dpkg --help | less

On my system the dpkg --help seems to come out on the wrong console. For
instance if I do a dpkg --help | less then less doesn't seem to come
into the picture at all.

To check this out I did dpkg --help 2> dpkg.txt and all the help came
out in the file.

Is this correct behaviour or am I missing something? AFAICT all the
other packages I have done a | less on to get the help have worked as I
expected.

Please reply to the address below.

Ian W
Karachi, Pakistan                             email: ianw@cyber.net.pk
---
 þ RM 1.31 0445 þ "Is there a Lawyer in the House?"  BLAM!  "Any more?"