Re: Kernel compilation

kriol@fnal.gov (Oleg Krivosheev) writes:

> I'm going to recompile kernel.
>
> I've got kernel-headers, kernel-source and
> bin86 packages?
>
> What is The Debian Way to compiler the kernel?
> And how compiled kernel will fit into
> kernel-image package ?

A good way to do this is to use the kernel-source and kernel-package
packages.  After installing both packages, do the following (as root):

1) Type: cd /usr/src/linux

2) Type: make config  [make menuconfig also works, as does make xconfig
   in X]

3) Configure your kernel by answering the questions.

4) Type: make-kpkg --revision <version> kernel-image
   where <version> is the version number that you want to assign to the
   new package that you are building.  One good scheme is to use your
   host name followed by a revision number as in "hostname.1".

5) Install (using dpkg -i) the package in the file

   where <kernel version> is the version number of the kernel, such as
   2.0.32 or 2.0.33; <version> is the version number from step 4; and
   <arch> is the architecture type of the machine you are using,
   probably i386.

6) You should save the /usr/src/linux/.config file.  It contains the
   configuration of your newly created kernel, which you later can use to
   build new kernels.  Simply place this file in /usr/src/linux/.config
   before using make-kpkg.

7) You can now remove the kernel-source package.
     a) Type: cd /usr/src/linux
     b) Type: make-kpkg clean
     c) Type: cd ..
     d) Type: dpkg --purge kernel-source-<kernel version>

Brian