Re: Diff window managers for diff users

David R Baker <dabaker@InfoAve.Net> writes:

> Krzysztof Adamski wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >  What do I have to do to let different users on the same machine use
> > different window mamager?
> >
> > I have installed afterstep, and my wife was using it, but leter I added
> > fvwm2, now she wants after step back, but I want to use fvwm2.

> If you and your wife log on as distinct users with distinct home
> directories,
> then you can have different ".xsession" files.  This file, if present,
> will determine
> what window manager is used.  There is a default one somewhere under
> /etc/X11 that is
> used if it not present.

To be a bit more explicit about what is needed, and what happens:
When xdm starts a session (i.e. once someone logs in successfully) it
simply executes the file /etc/X11/Xsession - this file does some
standard things (involving setting X resources, among other things),
and then, depending either on whether or not the user has a .xsession
file in their home directory, exec's .xsession or exec's the default
window manager (which will be the first window manager listed in
/etc/X11/window-managers that exists).

So, if a certain user wants to use a certain window manager instead of
the default, they should create a ~/.xsession file with the line:
exec afterstep
(or 'exec fvwm2' or whatever) and make this file executable with
chmod:
  chmod a+rx .xsession

.xsession files can also be used to do certain setup things - start
specific X programs each time one logs in, start ssh-agent (for those
who use ssh), etc.; note that some of these setup parameters are often
best left to the window manager, and the details on how to set up each
window manager vary from wm to wm.