Re: spam mail or mail relay

In an attempt to save the world from disaster, Wiria A Kusuma wrote:
> thanks for everything.., short and clear explanation.
>
> Martin Schulze wrote:
>
> > They're not equal.
> >
> >  . Relayed Mail is delivered through an innocent system that accepts
> >    such mail.  It is delivered to senders outside of the local area
> >    (including MX hosting &c).  Modern MTA's doesn't allow this
> >    anymore.  Our server lists.debian.org does only accept mail for
> >    its own domain, not for others, no relaynig allowed.
> >
> >  . Spam is mainly UCE (unsolicited commercial email (sp?)).  That's
> >    mail sent to you and a hundred of others that all didn't want
> >    to receive them.  Some of the known Spammers may be blocked
> >    by MAPS RBL (Mail Abuse Prevention System, see http://maps.vix.com/).
> >    We're doing this on our server lists.debian.org.

Also see the following debian package (hamm only, I think). You'll need
to do some configuring before it works, but it is actually quite easy:

$ dpkg -s spamdb
Package: spamdb
Maintainer: Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au>
[..]
 This package retrieves well-known blacklists from the Net and builds a
 database of spam sites. The blacklist is automatically updated every week.
 .
 The Spam blacklist can then be used by mailers to reject spam. The package
 includes scripts to convert it's database to a format usable by specific
 mail transport agents.
 .
 This version is highly modular and extensible
 .
 This package will *NOT* reconfigure mailers to use the spamdb.  There are
 far too many possible ways of doing it that I feel it should be a local
 sysadmin policy decision.  Whichever way you choose to do it, spamdb can
 support it.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

The upstream maintainer is allowed to do things different
than Debian, but only if he has good reasons to do so.