Re: Running fetchmail in ip-up

On 12 Feb, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
>> 	I would like to run fetchmail in my ip-up to pick up mail from a
>> couple of different places.  Would it be best to run it via su so that it
>> is run using my account?  Is there a better way?  All of the accounts have
>> different user names.  Not my choice.
>
> Hi.
> If my memory doesn't fail me, fetchmail can be configured to poll mail
> from different hosts with specified remote user id AND local user id to
> deliver to for each host seperately.
>
> Alex Y.

When run from ip-up it is run as root.  So in /root/.fetchmailrc put
something like this for each server(isp).

poll <server1> timeout 60:
        user <isp1_login> there has password <isp1_password> is <local_login> here
        fetchall

poll <server2> timeout 60:
        user <isp2_login> there has password <isp2_password> is <local_login> here
        fetchall

etc.

Then fetchmail will pass it off to your local smail/sendmail for
delivery to the local user, <local_login>.  Fetchmail adds additional
headers to the mails, pretty slick.

If you use smail for local smtp then configure it as if you are a
internet host even if you dial-up.

This setup works great for me.

Good luck,

Brian