Re: which init file starts sendmail?

charles_read@dbcity.com writes:

> On Debian 1.3.1, which init file starts sendmail?
> [I need to prevent sendmail from starting at boot-time.]

You have two options for using sendmail.

1. as a standalone demon.
Then there is a file in init.d which start it. Use update-rc.d to remove
the calls to it in the rcX.d directories.

2. started by inetd/xinetd on demand.
Use update-inetd to disable it like update-inetd --enable smtp
Use itox to resync your xinetd.conf with the inetd.conf afterwards (if you
use xinetd).

It is a good idea to read the manpages for update-rc.d and update-inetd,
so you know the commands (and also know how to use them) next time you
need them.

Ciao,
	Martin