PS/2 Mouse problem

I'm new to Linux and I'm having trouble using my mouse. It's a generic PS/2 compatible which doesn't run on any of my COM ports. The only informtion I could gather on it from my Win95 setup was that it's on a "PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port" and that it uses IRQ 12 in Windows. My BIOS has an "Enable PS/2 Mouse" which is enabled, and when I installed Debian the PS/2 was detected and the psaux module loaded.
My problem is that I don't know where to tell programs like gpm or X Windows where the mouse is actually at in /dev. I've read through the manpages, the FAQ's and many of the HOWTOS and I'm at a loss. Any help on this would be most appreciated.

Matt