Re: limiting user access

> > > Is it possible to restrict user access so users can not execute any
> > > programs?  (programs which they copied on to my system).  - FreeBSD can do
> > > this sort of thing

> > Mount the user writable areas with the noexec option.  Probably want to
> > put it in the /etc/fstab.

> Is there any way to do this for only certain groups?

Best I can do is suggest the use of group homes in /etc/adduser.conf.  Of
course, if the users have already been added, this is a pain.  Oh, you
could also use a restricted shell so they can't execute programs not in
the current path and so they can't alter the environment (like the path).
You have to be pretty good to set up an restricted shell environment that
the user can't break out of.

Good luck,
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Torvalds