zip disks Re: PPP problems still
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: zip disks Re: PPP problems still
- From: Carey Evans <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: 12 Feb 1998 15:31:33 +1300
- Message-id: <email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: David Wright's message of Wed, 11 Feb 1998 15:14:51 +0000 (GMT)
- References: <Pine.SOL.3.91.980211150004.20666C@tyne>
David Wright <D.Wright@open.ac.uk> writes:
> > I would also like to
> > know if anyone knows how to compress an Iomega Zip-Disk in linux, as I
> > would like to utilize my zip's for backing up files.
> A zip disk is just another disk in linux. I personally use zip (infozip)
> in preference to tar/gzip but that's partly familiarity. I also leave the
> zipdisks as DOS so I can restore files to, say, my wife's Windoze laptop.
> The zipfilenames are 8.3, but that doesn't affect what's inside them.
If you manage to mount the disk as vfat, you get Win95 long filenames
so that, for example, "samba_1.9.18p2-1.deb" is in a more usable form.
Or even something like backup-incr-19980201-19980212.tar.gz.
Carey Evans http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/c.evans/
GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."
TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
Trouble? e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org .