Re: Compute Farm, Part II

Lindsay Allen wrote:

> Tim,
>
> IIRC Brian White has advocated cfengine for this task.

If I may, he advocated it because we used it here at Verisim to manage
our workstations and servers.  Unfortunately we found although it did
work, it was rather clumsy, and didn't scale well in our environment.

I have written a script (called cfile) which has all the functionality
of what we had cfengine doing for us before.  It needs a bit of a work
(since we've been using it for 4 months we've noticed some places it
could be improved).

All in all though, it seems to do the trick of managing a small network
of near identical machines (hardware wise).  It can also specially
configure certain machines to provide services (dns, web, ftp, etc).  I
am confident that it would scale much larger.

Tim, if you are interested in seeing my developement code let me know.
It's implementation will be taking a big change, but it's basic working
will be the same.  (i.e. the current version of cfile will give you an
idea of it's capabilities and features).

I plan on making a debian package of it once I am done my overhaul and
make it even more generic (I want to use this same tool on my home
network, here at Verisim, and on several other friend's networks).

Let me know.

Behan

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com