Re: rpc.portmap, ethernet-card prob

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 11, 1998 at 02:51:58AM +0100, Florian Attenbergerhphalle0.informatik.tu-muenchen.de wrote:
> > My "rpc.portmap" is away (/usr/sbin/rpc.portmap) and I don't know, why.
> > What is its use??
> > How can I get it again?????
> >
> > I have no /dev/eth0:
> > Because the CARD is not correct installed????????
> >
> > or
> >
> > Do I have to create this file??????????(with mknod??????)
>
> Network devices do not have entries in /dev. The portmapper is used
> for some RPC services like NFS; what do you mean it "is away"?

When i had Debian 1.3 installed rpc.portmap did not exist, when I first
looked for it, but this did not matter (maybe because i dont use nfs)

Some days ago I totally reinstalled debian 1.3.1 and rpc.portmap DID
exist.
Then I updated completely to the unstable release and noticed that it was
away
(BTW:  I`ve installed the network packages).

My ethernet card driver seems to be correctly installed.

At bootup there are some error-messages, saying, that network service was
not available.

I can send you the exact error-message later
(I can`t now because I`m not at home)

Anyway

Thank you very much

florian attenberger