Re: libc5 (not libc6) by default? (was: CDE)

Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> writes:

> I'm sure there is not the problem that the package is not *.deb.
> The problem here is that it was not linked with specific major version
> of libc. If you try to do "ldd /path/to/some/CDE/executable/or/library"
> I bet that you'll get dependence on libc6. Same thing happens to my
> Motif: libXm.so.2.0 seems to depend on libc6 while both of them used
> libc5 headers.
>
> The solution is to configure shared lib loader to use libc5 by default.
> If somebody can tell me how to do it, I would be very gratefull.

Two things you can try:

1. Put /usr/X11R6/lib right at the end of /etc/ld.so.conf.  (Is this
   done in the upgrade process?  I'm sure it's made things work for me
   that didn't previously.)

2. Check for the path hardcoded into the binary; try:

      strings /path/to/dtlogin | grep '/usr/X11R6/lib'

   Nothing should be printed.  This caused a problem with the Debian
   packages of fvwm2 and other programs a few months ago.

I don't know how you'll get it to load libc5 by default; I haven't had
this problem.

	  GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."