Re: Modem /dev/cua vs /dev/ttyS

Use of /dev/cua? may be deprecated, but I can't get scripts to work with
/dev/ttyS?, only /dev/cua?.  Can anone explain why?

For example, if you use the /usr/doc/ppp/examples/secure-card
expect script, it uses redirection to /dev/cua? to communicate with the
modem:

system "stty 19200 -echoe -echo raw < /dev/cua3 > /dev/cua3"

If you change this to ttyS3 it will work once, but not again until you
reboot.  But /dev/cua? always works...