Dselect with floppy

I've just installed debian (kernel 2.0.29) on an IBM ThinkPad 360 which
neither has a CD-ROM nor a network connection (yet).
Therefore I wanted to use "dselect" with the floppy drive (/dev/fd0 -
msdos), but when I try to install new *.deb-files I get the following error
message:

    end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 sector 0
    mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

Does anybody what's going wrong here?
TIA

Stefan