Re: ddd doesn't do a thing

On Mon, Feb 09, 1998 at 09:40:52PM +0100, Maarten Boekhold wrote:
> Some time ago I upgraded to ddd-2.1.1 with lesstifg-0.82-4, and ever
> since, ddd doesn't do a d****d thing anymore. It starts up, and that's it.
> I can't even open a menu to open a file, or typw in the console window.
> Anybody knows how to fix this? I really start to miss my debugger....

Maarten, what's the precise version number of ddd? You say "lesstifg", so I
presume it's 2.1.1-5 (as that is the only 2.1.1 that's libc6). DDD needed to
be changed for use with libc6. The first change was in 2.1.1-5, but there
was a second change in 2.2-1 relating to this.

Unfortunately, there are still severe problems in LessTif (X lockups and
memory leaks), so there's no LessTif-using DDD that I can guarantee to works
fine. I'm still looking for a new LessTif maintainer (I don't really have
the expertise to maintain it)...

Basically, there are three options you can consider:
- Use ddd-smotif (or ddd-dmotif if you have motif) from "contrib", which
  doesn't use LessTif, and should be OK.
- Use the latest DDD from unstable (2.2.3-1). This should fix the "doesn't
  do anything" problem, but still has LessTif problems.
- Downgrade to ddd_2.1.1-1 (in bo-updates).

HTH,
Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking