Installproblem Xfree86.

Hello Debian-users!

Can someone help me with some "Newbie" questions..

1. When I try to install Xfree86 whith gzip I got (I think) an errormessage
like "Broken Pipe". What does that mean?
2. How do you run "shell script"? In Howto:s for Xfree86 they say you want
to run the shellscript preinst.sh first of all but I don«t now how to do
that.
3. It don«t seems that I have the manual-klient "man". What packagename is
that "manual-klient"?
When I try to run with "startx" as root the message I get is:

"xinit: Can«t load library «/lib/libc.so.4« Incompatible version."

In my /lib/ I only have libc.so.5
What«s wrong?

Many thanks

/ Joakim burman