Problem with python

----- Forwarded message from root -----
HI Folks,

I have a problem installing python1.4 (hamm), and here follows the output
from trying to run dpkg --configure python-base.

Setting up python-base (1.4.0-4) ...
  File "/usr/lib/python1.4/compileall.py", line 8
    import os
     ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
dpkg: error processing python-base (--configure):
 python-base

Does anyone know what I should do to correct this?

Thanks

Heine

----- End of forwarded message from root -----