Install Help on ThinkPad Wanted

Hello,

I'd be most grateful to anyone who can help me with my installation
of Debian 1.3.1 on an IBM ThinkPad 760C.  I was able to complete
the base installation from diskettes where I believe I included the
necessary
drivers to support my external Panasonic KXL-783A 8X-CD-ROM via
its PCMCIA credit card interface.  I still cannot, however, read any of
the distribution CDs (in binary ISO image format) because it cannot
mount /dec/cdrom nor /dev/hd[b|c] when running dselect to load the
rest.  Am I limited to loading it on the same removable hard drive on
a friend's ThinkPad which has an internal CD-ROM drive?, or is there
a way around it on mine.  If I do load it from my friend's, a different
model ThinkPad, will it still work on mine after I put the hard drive
back?
I welcome any/all suggestions or explanations on how I can overcome
this obstacle.   Thank you.

- William Vera