Re: Question re: splitting files

> Hello all...
>
> Is there any way in Debian I can break files down to floppy size for
> archive purposes? Say I want to backup netscape so I don't have to go
> back and download it again if I do a complete re-install...
> How do I accomplish this? and how do I re-assemble the pieces to install
> the program?
>
> I haven't found any documentation on this (or I'm not looking for the
> right thing :^)

Say the stuff you want to backup is in a directory called `bla'.  Then
you would do

tar czvf bla.tgz bla
split -b 1423k bla.tgz bla.
                          ^ type this dot to make it look better

This will give you a number of files called bla.aa bla.ab bla.ac etc,
that fit exactly on an MS-DOS formatted disk.  Put them on a floppy
and remove bla.?? bla.tgz.

If you want to restore later, you go to the parent dir of bla, copy the
files from the floppies there, and do

cat bla.?? > bla.tgz
tar xzvf bla.tgz

and presto!  You may want to read the man pages on tar, split and cat
so that you will know what you are doing :)

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032