HOW? Printer accounting systems....

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out how to set up printer accounting on our
network.  We are currently running a debian linux server, connected to a
remote hp laserjet printer.

According to the man page for printcap(5) a if filter is used when printer
accounting is required.  However I am not sure how to specify an if
filter, nor what one is or where I get one.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Chris.

PS.  please reply direct, because sometimes I miss stuff going through the
     entire list :)