Re: Sound Card Opti 931

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Antonio Doldo wrote:

> NeuTroN wrote:
> >
> > I recently bought a system (Intel Pentium, 166 MMX) and it has a Sound
> > Card that seems to be an OPTi 82C931. (At least that is how the
> > software in DOS sees it and how Win95 detects it.) I guess Trust
> > Computer Products resells OPTi sound cards, because There is an (extra)
> > Trust label on the installation disks for Win(3.11/95). When I configure
> > the kernel for normal sound blaster, 16 bits audio doesn't work. Well
> > then, why not compile it for MAD16? After doing that, it didn't work at
> > all.
> > /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.30/drivers/sound/mad16.c seems to support cards
> > up to 82C930. Does anyone have suggestions?
> > Thanx!
> >
> > Maarten Bezemer

[snip]
> I have a OPTi 82C924 and found a little solution:
> compile the kernel for SB and launch the 'linux.bat' from a dos
> partition
> (or a floppy dos)
> in the 'linux.bat' set the environment:
> SET MUSIC16=C:\MUSIC16
> C:\MUSIC16\SNDINIT /B
> C:\LINUX\LOADLIN.EXE zImage root=/dev/hdb1 ro
[snip]

I have done something like this (my directory for sndinit is c:\opti931),
and there is something that works in Linux. I recompiled kernel 2.0.30 for
SB and MPU. Now 8-bit audio does work, Wavetable-Midi also, but 16-bit
audio files (demo.wav with bplay for example) gives garbage out of the
speakers. Does anyone know where I can find a mad16.c that does support
OPTi 82C931 sound cards? As far as I know 2.0.32 still supports up to
82C930.

Can ayone help me?

 Maarten Bezemer
 Holland