Re: root login

In an attempt to save the world from disaster, Kirstin S. Reese wrote:

> I've had to repair a system whose filesystem was slightly corrupted.
>
> It's in good shape now, except that, from the console, a login for root
> does not request a password, it just logs you in.
>
> And tty0 does not even prompt. It just logs in as root.
>
> I believe that the installion script did not fully finish on this machine,
> but I can't find any information about this.

going for the obvious, but:

Are you sure root has a passwd set?

# grep root /etc/passwd /etc/shadow

/etc/passwd:root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
/etc/shadow:root:u384kf835ishasdf:10063:0:99999:7:::
               are you sure that paswd is not empty? (Eighter in
	       etc/passwd, or in /etc/shadow).

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

The upstream maintainer is allowed to do things different
than Debian, but only if he has good reasons to do so.