Re: Somewhat off topic...

On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, Daniel Martin at cush wrote:

> "DAVID B. TEAGUE" <teague@WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU> writes:
>
> > ...  Is there a way to program the ppp chat script or
> > otherwise programm a dial loop that will allow me to repeatedly try to
> > connect and start ppp?

> My pppd tries repeatedly (at least 5 times) to connect; it probably
> has to do with the fact that I have the "presist" option in
> /etc/ppp.options_out.  However, a better idea would be to find out why
> your pppd isn't connecting - what's near the end of your
> /var/log/ppp.log after an unsuccessful connect attempt?  From what you
> describe, it almost sounds like some of the machines you're dialing
> into use one connect sequence, and some use another.  In this case you
> need to figure out both types of login sequences and probably need to
> write an "expect" script - chap isn't good at deciding between
> alternatives.

I know that chat scripts are written with "send:expect" pairs, mine is
written that way. But there are no decision verbs available that I know
about.  Would you tell me where to find out how to write the "expect"
script you mention? It isn't in the man pages nor the HOWTO for ppp.

The problem is not a connect sequence problem:

When I cannot connect, the modems fail to negotiate a connection, so the
connect (chat) sequence is not the issue. It is never sent. Hence the
redial need.

When I try with Kermit, if things are working I get a menu, if not the
modems never come to agreement. This is true using Kermit on either of
two different machines. These machines use the same telephone line,
alternately, of course.

The other (non-Linux) machine uses the software provided by the ISP, and
it will connect exactly when Linux pppd and my chat script connect. When
things are not working, the ISP's software, MS DOS Kermit on that
machine, UNIX Kermit on my machine and pppd each fail to have the
respective modems connect, until I have tried many times.  I know how to
program the kermit command language to repeatedly dial until success, I
just didn't know how to do that with Linux pppd. Your 'persist'
suggestion works nicely for this.  BTW I think they fixed the problem at
the ISP end, as I have had no instances of this problem in a week or so.

With regard to the ISP's equipment, I would guess that the ISP has some
good modems/lines and others that are no @#$%@$% good, and when I try
many times, quickly, call is passed to a differnt modem each call,
until a modem that will connect is found.

At any rate, you intrigue me about the 'expect' script. How do I do
that?

Thanks!

--David
       LINUX: the FREE 32 bit OS for [3456]86 PC's available NOW!
David B Teague | Ask me how user interface copyrights & software
teague@wcu.edu | patents make programing a dangerous business.

spy counter-intelligence wild porno sex gold bullion Soviet Bosnia
ammonium nitrate fuel oil cocaine assassinate counterfeit destabilize