EDA Conundrums

I have just recently installed debian onto my computer system, and even
though it seems to work pretty smoothly, I have encountered some
problems.

One problme that I have encountered is that Cadence's suite of design
tools does not allow one to use a colour map higher than 256.  Naturally
I would like my colour map to be higher than this value.  Is there any
way I can launch Cadence tools in a smaller colour map?

The second problem I have encountered is in the compilation of magic
v6.5.  Everything seems to run smoothly until it hits the compilation of
the X11 apps.  The compiler stops at this point and tells me that "-lX11
does not exist"  Now I have checked for the existence of libX11.so and
it is there.  I have checked my  ld.so and it sees libX11.so.  Where
does my problem lie?

Anyways, if anyone has a solution to these problems I would greatly
appreciate it.