Question about 'strip'

	When I compile programs on my own, I usually run 'strip' on the
binaries when I'm finished.  This greatly reduces the size of the files
but I wonder, does it affect performance/stability?  My
/usr/local/lib/gimp/0.99/plug-ins was 16mb now it's 3.  The man-page says
that strip removes symbols from the file, can anyone explain that in a
little more detail?

			TIA,
				mike...

Micro$oft, what do you want to spend today?