Re: debians /etc/rc.local?????

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Art Lemasters wrote:

> Kent wrote:
> >
> > where is it at?
>
> This is probably what you were after.
> -----------------------------------
> 11.4 It looks as if Debian does not use rc.local to customize the boot
> process; what facilities are provided?
> http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/debian-faq-11.html#ss11.4
> -------------------------------------
>
>      I am trying to install a Cyrix 6x86 patch.  Although
> the info above is helpful, the multiple "rc?.d" files have
> me a little confused.

It's confusing at first, but if you look at the rc?.d directories, you
will see that all the entries are symlinks to files in /etc/init.d.  You
(or dpkg) can add additional entries and create new links with
update-rc.d.  For instance, I created /etc/init.d/local for customized
stuff and ran update-rc.d on it and it was then linked to the appropriate
rc?.d location.

Bob

---
Bob Nielsen                     Internet: nielsen@primenet.com