Re: Linux and ultra dma drives

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, ' ALLAN W. BART wrote:

> i just wanted to know about compatibility.

I have a Quantum Fireball ST 3.2 GB, which has UDMA capability. The
current version of Linux just ignores the UDMA, and uses plain DMA.
It works fine for me. However, some people have had problems with UDMA
add-on cards, like the Promise controller (apparently used in some
Gateway machines, for example). The solution is to use the mainboard's
on-board controller instead.

BTW, does anyone know when the kernel will have ultra DMA support? I
remember one discussion a while back about kernel hackers not caring about
IDE, but I don't remember any conclusions about which kernel would have
UDMA or when that kernel will likely be released.

Havoc Pennington