Re: Threads (Was Re: Multiprocessor support)

True, but having the threads library does not enable the kernel to
handle multiple processors.  Threads will allow you to make a
multithreaded application that will spawn separate threads even on a
single processor machine.  Two different aspects I believe.

My point being that the kernel itself has to be enabled with SMP to
recognize both processors before any threading, etc.. can operate on the
second processor and therefore any Linux distribution will support SMP
(at least at the kernel level)

Sorry for any confusion on my part.

Steve Mayer
smayer@rtd.com