IP_ALIAS problem

Does anyone know the "trick" to get ip_alias to work on debian?
The how-to seems pretty simple, compile kernel, make modules ,install
modules and kernel, (easy... Not!!)
when I do a ifconfig eth0:1 the system returns no sutch device and modprobe
of ip alias tells me register_net_ip_alias  is unrecognized version. I am
at my wits end here folks.
This started on a slakware system 3 weeks ago, and I thought it was just
another bug in it.. appearantly it is a bug in my "thinking" I am getting
desperate to get my other domains on this box...

THIS IS A FRANTIC PLEA FOR HELP!!!

Thanks
Kent