Re: MWave Modem

The real reason is that the MWave (and similar modems like the
WinModem) are not really real modems.  They offload the stuff that
the modem should be doing itself on to the computer's CPU.  This is
bad.  First, it eats CPU time like crazy.  Secondly, it requires
special OS-specific drivers to work.  In all, a bad design and
something to be avoided.

Stephen Zander <srz@mckesson.com> writes:

> "tommy knocker" <tommytoo@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > I have an IBM computer with debian installed and it uses an internal
> > Mwave modem.  I can't seem so write a script that will initialize the
> > modem.  Does anybody have a script that will work with this modem that I
> > can look at?
>
> I have bad news & I have bad news.  The answer is almost certainly: buy
> a pcmcia modem.  AFAIK, there is no support for MWave devices in linux,
> mainly because IBM/(what is their name ?) won't provide documentaion
> without lots of legal/economic strings.
>
> --
> Stephen
> ---
> "Normality is a statistical illusion." -- me
>

> --

John Goerzen          | Developing for Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for
jgoerzen@complete.org | DOS/Windows -- check it out at www.debian.org.