Re: Problem dialing in w/AutoPPP/PAP! Help!

On Thu, Jan 15, 1998 at 09:58:40AM +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
> > I can verify that turning off shadow passwords fixes the PAP problem.
> > This is unacceptable.  And it's already reported in bug 16044.  Oh well.

  I've found the problem and it's really a silly thing: the binary
package for ppp_2.3.2-2.deb is compiled without HAS_SHADOW. I've
rebuilt it changing the file debian/rules adding 'HAS_SHADOW=1' to the
second make (no PAM support):

  build:
        $(checkdir)
        ./configure
        make USE_PAM=1
        mv pppd/pppd pppd/pppd-pam
        rm pppd/auth.o
 >      make HAS_SHADOW=1
        touch build

And it worked using pap-secrets:

* hostname "" *

It doesn't work without the leading * (maybe it's a bug in the
pap-secrets parser, but it's not a real problem).

I don't know if a ppp-shadow package will be needed or if there's
another way to build a debian package usable for SHADOW and not SHADOW
systems (i've started with debian development only to see what
happended with the ppp daemon, i'm sure that Phil should have the
answer, but as he states, maybe PAM support is the way to do it).

> It this the case with ppp-pam installed ?

Yes, it fails for me, but i haven't used PAM before and i don't know
where is the problem. If time permits i'll try to find the bug in the
code.

> I'd be interested to hear how people get on with PAM, since I don't use PAP
> for dial-in, so have trouble testing it.
>
> BTW I'm hoping to get pppd to be able to detect the presence of libpam at
> run-time, and so get rid of the ppp-pam package in the future.

Phil, I'm able to test the PAP/PAM combo for dial-in easily, so if you
want me to test any code just tell me.

Cheers

  Sergio

|  Sergio Talens-Oliag, Systems & Network Administrator.                    |
|  Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Agrarias (IVIA)                  |
|  Carretera Moncada - Naquera, Km. 4,5             Telf:   +34 6 139 10 00 |
|  Apartado Oficial, 46113 Moncada (Valencia)       mailto:sto@ivia.es      |
|  SPAIN                                            http://www.ivia.es/~sto |