Re: Why is debian "more of a learning curve" than Redhat???

Tyson Dowd, trd@cs.mu.OZ.AU on 1/24/98 11:43 PM

>Perhaps you could explain why you think the Mac/Win UI is better?
>Is it just prettier, or is there some way in which it is a "better"
>interface for doing the job?
>As far as I can see (the Windows installer) just covers your screen,
>tells you to kill all your other processes, shows you some cryptic disk
>space graphs (and some crappy graphics) as it copies files, gives you
>nice "next" buttons, then offers to reboot for you.  Debian wouldn't
>need the reboot, the warnings, or the useless graphs. Perhaps the next
>buttons could stay.

The mac makes it clear as to exactly what is being installed -- that's
the biggest difference. It tells you what's happening. dpkg is better for
doing stuff en masse and certain other things, but the mac is certainly
easier, mainly because of presentation.

>But if Windows were to allow you to install 27 packages at once, offered
>to download them, informed you of dependencies at the same time, and
>warned you if removing a package would cause trouble with other
>packages, you could be certain the windows installer/uninstaller would
>have more complex dialogs as well.

In this way, the mac/windows is worse. Windows worse than the mac. dpkg
is still intimidating to new users.