Re: cp -a

> Weird, I did this not two days ago, cp -avRx /* . and it died on some
> file, I thought it was /dev or a fifo?

Say "." is /tmp.  When you get to copying /tmp, you will get into
recursion with /tmp/tmp being everything that you have copied into /tmp
including the directory /tmp/tmp which will become /tmp/tmp/tmp...  I
usually make sure to get every directory but the one I'm copying into.  Or
using a rescue disk to I can have /mnt1 and /mnt2.  Or using a tar that
won't traverse mount points, etc...

HTH,
Brandon