Re: how can i create linux partition?

robert havoc pennington <rhpennin@midway.uchicago.edu> writes:

> The install process formats the partition for Linux. You just need to
> create the partition or empty space for one beforehand - it can be a Win95
> partition or whatever.  The install program will ask which partition(s)
> you want to format for Linux, or even allow you to destructively
> repartition. Remember that you want a swap partition too.
>
> The only thing the install program won't do is nondestructively
> repartition, i.e. you can't change any partitions without erasing their
> data. For that you need Partition Magic or FIPS.

What this means in your case is: use Partition Magic to move
partitions around (shrinking the win95 partition, etc.) - you can also
have it add a few new partitions, even if they aren't linux
partitions, since the partitioning portion of the install program will
allow you to change a partition into a Linux partition (of course,
you'll lose all the data on that partition, but you'd only do this to
partitions you had newly created with partition magic.)

When planning out your partitioning scheme and moving things around,
remember to set aside a partition that's entirely within the first
1024 cylinders for use by linux if you want to be able to boot it
directly from your hard drive. (for example, I have a partition that
goes from cylinder 1 to cylinder 63 set aside for linux, and this is
what I boot from).  Also remember to allocate a swap partition, though
some people claim that this isn't necessary if your machine has more
than 16MB ram.  (I am not one of those people)