my cdrom goes wrong with a debian 1.3.1

Hello all.

i installed recently a debian 1.3.1.
My cdrom (a "funai ex285a") is correctly detected during boot up. But,
near half the times, when i "mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom", i get:

"hdb: status error: status=0x08.
 Drive not ready for command.
 ATAPI reset complete".

and then my hard disk starts to work for a while, then pause, in loop,
as i continuously have some messages telling me that my hda (not hdb) is
not ready. The system is not crashed but i can't get the control back,
and i must reset the pc between two periods of hard disk work.

I ask myself why the problem with hdb causes another with hda?
i'm not a guru of linux but i don't think that this is due to a bad
configuration. I had an old Slackware before this debian and i never had
any problem (with my cdrom, i mean...). Under win95 there's no problem.

My config: pentium 233 mmx. chipset tx on an asus txp4 motherboard.
    .hda=ide0 master=quantum fireball 3.2 go udma (whith 3 partitions:
                                  hda1=linux/hda2=linux swap/hda3=win95)
    .hdb=ide0 slave=cdrom (4x funai ex285a)
    .hdc=ide1 master=old 80Mb conner hard disk
    .hdd=nothing
    .no SCSI device in m config, just a parallel port Iomega Zip Drive.

Please, please, solve my problem because i don't want to go back with my
old slackware to fix that...thanks to any helper
you can mail me: matimbert@hol.fr
PS: sorry for the bad english (but i'm french).